[gcompris-devel] update

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Tue Aug 21 20:38:48 UTC 2007

Le lundi 20 août 2007 à 16:10 +0200, josé jorge a écrit :
> since we are
> > Ethiopians we wanted to add Amharic to GCOMPRIS. we are having
> problems
> > regarding the font list. it couldnt read it on windows. how can we
> > configure the font list.

I am not expert but the fonts are not managing by us directly, it's all
done automagically by Pango the underlying library we are using. You
could contact them and ask why but last time I checked (1), Amharic is
not supported by Windows XP, it has been introduced in Vista. All I know
is that for other languages like Marathi, you have first to activate it
in Windows XP in order to have it in GCompris.

(1) Support for Ethiopic Unicode in Windows was introduced in 2007 with
Windows Vista, which includes an Amharic keyboard driver and the Nyala
font http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/ethiopic.html

Concerning your GNU/Linux problem, please be more specific or it's
impossible for us to help you. In most case GCompris is packaged by the
distributions directly, you should start by using their version, once
you get more familiar with GNU/Linux you will be able to go further and
compile the developer release.

--
Bruno Coudoin
http://gcompris.net Free educational software for kids