[gcompris-devel] The OFSET web site, the next move

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Sun Mar 21 13:53:08 UTC 2004

Le dim 21/03/2004 à 14:51, José JORGE a écrit :
> Em Domingo, 21 de Março de 2004 14:17, o Hilaire Fernandes escreveu:
> > Hello,
> >
> > This week end, with Bruno Coudoin and Christophe Merlet we discussed
> > longuely about the OFSET web site issue and the features we want to
>
> glasnost seems interesting, as far as we can have an easy to use
> identification system (I've seen it talks about GPG, which seems a bit too
> complex for me...)

So do I, GPG is overkill for our need.

> The killer feature I think we need is a way to submit content for gcompris,
> and a way to insert it on gcompris without permission problems. So what about
> modify gcompris to search boards also in ~/.gcompris? Because as far as we
> are, it's too heavy to get source recompile for the end users. Then the site
> could give activity.tar.gz that you just expand in your home directory.

We are not talking about the same thing.

The web site project is not to host gcompris code but only
documentation. The big idea is to provide way for teachers all around
the world to explain how they use gcompris and other free software in
their schools. It will help us spread our software because teachers will
easily find ways to use our software in relation to their educational
system. It will not be enforced maitain documentation coherency between
languages but to let teachers explain in their native language how to
use gcompris.
So this documentation goes beyond current documentation that explain the
usage of each activity, not much how it relates to the edutation system.

Now for your concern of having local content in ~/.gcompris, it's
another issue. It requires some work to be done in gcompris to allow
this, most of it is a packaging issue. I cannot alone make more effort
on packaging so I won't go this way for now.
Also, installation on GNU/Linux is always an issue and having gcompris
in a single package makes it easier for the end users, and maintenance
for us (eg: why to I have this activity on this PC and not this one. How
do I get it !!)

> Anyway I'd participate in portuguese translations, if this project goes on.

Thanks in advance.