[gcompris-devel] Segmentation fault CVS

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Thu Jan 29 07:36:00 UTC 2004

Le mar 27/01/2004 à 12:52, Olivier Samyn a écrit :
> >I will test it asap.
> >
> >Perhaps this mail could be put in your "Python wrapper for Gcompris"
> >manual.
> >

> Yes of course the python wrapper to gcompris needs some improvement for
> beginners...
> But I think I will try to create a small tutorial  from the sample
> application I am working on.
> Once this is done, I will merge the two documents.

Fine.

> >I though about creating a utility that could create a new empty board on
> >the fly.
> >For example to create a new board about mars:
> >$ create_new_board mars
> >
> >That would create the boards/mars.xml.in. point the icon to an 'under
> >construction icon' and a difficulty level of 0 (under development
> >boards)
> >Update the boards/Makefile.am
> >create the src/boards/python/mars.py from a predefined template (we
> >could put in example on how to create the different canvas object and
> >move them. Have it extensively commented.
> >Update src/boards/python/Makefile.am
> >Update po/POTFILE.in
> >What to you think ?
> >

> Nice idea that will simplify the process of creating new boards.
> Maybe adding a "tools" or "utils" directory in the gcompris's tree with
> such scripts will be a good solution.
>
> But I do not know if a script that adds a new board directly to the
> gcompris tree is the best solution.
> Maybe creating a template application that compil and install from
> itself will be also a good idea.
> This way, we can think about independant gcompris plugins like xmms plugins.
> They can be maintained by someone other than only you  :)

I agree also. That's two different use cases but both approach could
help.
I already discussed with Stasz (from childsplay) about the opportunity
to rewrite in python the gcompris core so that we could provide a 100%
python gcompris with the boards in python. These board could be provided
for windows as well without effort. But let's not dream, this is a lot
of work.

> The only issue I foresee comes with i18n: the plugin should handle this
> itself.
> If you want, I will try this way of doing.

I don't see your point here. What's the issue and what do you mean by
"that compil and install from itself". What to you put in this.