[gcompris-devel] Segmentation fault CVS

Olivier Samyn osamyn at easynet.be
Tue Jan 27 03:51:29 UTC 2004

>I will test it asap.
>
>Perhaps this mail could be put in your "Python wrapper for Gcompris"
>manual.

Yes of course the python wrapper to gcompris needs some improvement for
beginners...
But I think I will try to create a small tutorial  from the sample
application I am working on.
Once this is done, I will merge the two documents.

>I though about creating a utility that could create a new empty board on
>the fly.
>For example to create a new board about mars:
>$ create_new_board mars
>
>That would create the boards/mars.xml.in. point the icon to an 'under
>construction icon' and a difficulty level of 0 (under development
>boards)
>Update the boards/Makefile.am
>create the src/boards/python/mars.py from a predefined template (we
>could put in example on how to create the different canvas object and
>move them. Have it extensively commented.
>Update src/boards/python/Makefile.am
>Update po/POTFILE.in
>What to you think ?

Nice idea that will simplify the process of creating new boards.
Maybe adding a "tools" or "utils" directory in the gcompris's tree with
such scripts will be a good solution.

But I do not know if a script that adds a new board directly to the
gcompris tree is the best solution.
Maybe creating a template application that compil and install from
itself will be also a good idea.
This way, we can think about independant gcompris plugins like xmms plugins.
They can be maintained by someone other than only you  :)

The only issue I foresee comes with i18n: the plugin should handle this
itself.
If you want, I will try this way of doing.

Olivier Samyn.