[gcompris-devel] Re: charset generation

Sergey V. Udaltsov sergey.oudaltsov at clients.ie
Thu Feb 12 04:12:27 UTC 2004

Malcolm Tredinnick пишет:

>On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 11:02, Bruno Coudoin wrote:

>>>It sounds like what you really need is a way to find all the
>>>characters a child could type with their current keyboard layout.
>>>The locale is only a proxy to that.
>>>

>>You are correct. We are especially focussed on kids and we may want to
>>avoid complex charaters typings. More, we may need to start with letters
>>easy to type (one key) and then introduce the ones that needs 2 keys
>>(like alt+x).
>>

>But in this case you need to build up the list of possible characters
>yourself, surely? It is not locale dependent, rather it is input-method
>dependent.

I seen similar type-training progs for DOS/Windows for English and
Russian layouts. And this type of training seems reasonable.
The first problem you'll encounter is, typical, the issue with
non-xkb-enabled servers. With proper xkb I am pretty sure the task is
relatively easy to solve - but what if you dont have xkb?

Sergey