[gcompris-devel] Re: charset generation

José JORGE jjorge at free.fr
Wed Feb 11 05:00:57 UTC 2004

Em Quarta, 11 de Fevereiro de 2004 01:02, o Bruno Coudoin escreveu:
> Le mer 11/02/2004 à 00:36, Jody Goldberg a écrit :
> > It sounds like what you really need is a way to find all the
> > characters a child could type with their current keyboard layout.
> > The locale is only a proxy to that.
>
> You are correct. We are especially focussed on kids and we may want to
> avoid complex charaters typings. More, we may need to start with letters
> easy to type (one key) and then introduce the ones that needs 2 keys
> (like alt+x).
>
> Bruno.

I don't think it is a good idea putting complex typing on a software aiming
3-8 years old people. There are other software for that, as Tuxtype for young
people, which is specialized.
Furthermore, I may play on a locale but have the keyboard for another one, so
I won't be able to type all chars!
As I'm in mandrake-i18n ML, I heard that even japanese people don't type on
japanese keyboards : they use ascii keyboard with a soft that changes the
input method.

What I mean is that it seems that we are going in a too complex way for the
kids.

José