[gcompris-devel] release 5.0 in the way.

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Wed Feb 4 13:40:19 UTC 2004

Le mer 04/02/2004 à 09:54, Olivier Samyn a écrit :
> Hello Bruno,
>
> I just thinked about all those configurations problems...
>
> It's somewhat nice to be able to configure gcompris from a running
> instance, but we know that this need to restart the game...
>
> So I just thinked about: why not separate the configuration from the game ?
> This is something you found in some games and other programs (like
> OpenOffice setup)
>
> Maybe mixing gcompris-editor and setup would be nice (the editor is like
> an advanced view)...

Well, I don't think it's a good idea. gcompris-edit was more a mean to
create content and manage gcompris like a teacher would.
We need gcompris to be self contained and natural to use. It's not
logical to run an application to configure another. I bet most people
won't find it.

We could tweak gcompris a little bit not to have to restart it after the
config is done. It is already the case with most options. It could be
done for the screen resize and also for the sound.
Nobody willing to try?

I believe it would be more natural as most games and application work
this way (even if some like you mention have a separate config). Note
that oo.org have most of it's configuration possible in itself.0