[gcompris-devel] Version Windows

Rami Aubourg-Kaires rami.aubourg at ifrance.com
Tue Apr 27 03:53:03 UTC 2004

Bruno Coudoin wrote:
> During this week-end event Libr'east in Paris, I announced the future
> windows version of gcompris.
>
> I also announced that the Windows version will not be available as a a
> free download.
>
> To be clear, gcompris will stay GPL as today, including the Windows
> version but to get the windows binary, users will have to pay a fee.
>
> There will also be a gratis binary with only 5 to 10 activities
> available on sourceforge.
>
> The overall plan for gcompris has always been to promote GNU/Linux.
> Having Windows users to pay keeps incentives for users to moves allong
> and format their C:, install GNU/Linux.
>
> Now people prisoners in the Windows world have the oportunity to finance
> the creation of freedom alternatives.
>
> Hope nobody here take it bad. Feel free to discuss this option,
> especially if you see a better option for gcompris that fits in it's
> goal has explained above.
>
> Bruno.

If the binary fee stays "reasonable", plus the source code, including
the MS one, remains under GPL, freely available and modifyable by
anyone, there's no reason to disagree with you.
Providing a binary can be considered a service that deserves
retribution, exactly like packaging a commercial rpm-based linux distro.

On the other hand, there should be left the possibility for anyone else
to take the MS souce code, package it and distribute it freely. Else you
take the freedom out of GCompris.

The Linux binaries should stay free of charge, though. You could try to
sell support, install, automatic upgrades, learning courses, etc... if
you wish to.
For example providing the latest Gcompris through some sort of click'n
run "gcompris-urpmi" channel for all versions of Mandrake from 7.2 to
current for a reasonable annual fee would be OK in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW, I should have a new finnish translation ready by the end of the week.

Rami

Inscrivez-vous gratuitement sur Tandaime, Le site de rencontres !
http://rencontre.rencontres.com/index.php?origine=4