[gcompris-devel] Version Windows

bcoudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Tue Apr 27 03:18:11 UTC 2004

Le mar 27/04/2004 à 10:24, Christof Petig a écrit :
> stasZ schrieb:
> > What's keeping me or someone else from compiling Gcompris on windows
> > and giving it away with the source code ?
>
> The burden of having to set up a working compile environment, the burden
> of having to set up a working runtime environment and the burden to pack
> it nicely using an installer.
>
> I'm still the only one which builds windows binaries for my other
> projects and this is though debian ships a windows compiler/environment.
> And I have set up a public repository which ships gtk-win32 debs. It's a
> menace to correctly set up and get working. Remember: MinGW does not yet
> have a package tool like rpm or dpkg/apt for installing extra libraries
> (gtk...) on windows.
>
> > Also what's making Gcompris differrent then the 4.95 euros windows edu
> > CD's you can buy in the shops, a new one every month ? (at least in
> > Holland and England)
>
> You can recompile and change it. You are allowed to copy the CD and you
> are allowed to install it on as many computers as you like to. [IIRC
> that's simply mandated by the GPL nature]
>
> If Bruno offers a nicely packaged version with complete source code (as
> required by the gpl) and (perhaps) a packaged build environment, I would
> recommend buying this to everyone I know of (). Making the CD and the
> cover look nice (artwork) will certainly lower the incentive to give
> away home made copies instead of buyed CDs.
>
> So I would propose the following agreement:
> - Anybody not knowing a gcompris developer which is capable to compile
> the beast is definitely better off buying the CD. [if the demo is not
> enough]
> - Any gcompris developer who managed to build the beast is free to ship
> copies to his/her friends but he must give support (instead of
> redirecting to the mailing list). I s/he sets up a download location
> s/he is cursed to support the poor souls downloading it!
> - You have to think about countries which have difficulties ordering CDs
> from France. Who is going to handle the orders, payments etc? This is
> additional overhead caused by selling something. Perhaps a far
> east/mexican version should be downloadable for free.

I plan to use an online service that sells sharewares. I don't see why
they would refuse to resell gcompris. They offer various options for
payment and have a return policy in case it doesn't work.
They manage to collect money and take a fee.

> - The build environment might be a bonus of the CD.

Why not. Good idea.

For now, the first version will not include python nor the python
activities. It's enough work and content like this.

> This would definitely pacify my GPL infected mind from outcrying robbery ;-)
>     Christof
>
> PS: IMHO 5€ would be really cheap (no real incentive to spread private
> copies), 10€ would be perfect (e.g. as a present) and I would only pay
> 20€ if it includes the build environment or other extras [Like a good
> book(let) describing to code python activities]. Perhaps a
> classroom/school order at <=5€/pc would make good sense. Add to that
> price if it contains printed documentation. Perhaps it makes even sense
> to put the CD as an extra into a book. But that's simply my feeling of it.

I am in the same price range. Perhaps 15€. For a classroom price, I am
not sure what to do there is no reason for a classroom to pay several
time. It's not a single computer license. In the other hand, 15€ may be
too 'cheap' for a classroom to justify a buy !!.
I may create a classroom product for 50€ with nothing more than my best
wishes (or let's say, a better support).

> PPS: Perhaps it makes sense to restrict demo to one (or two) languages.

I don't agree. I don't see why some country would have an advantage
here. It doesn't cost me more to provide the best locale I have.

> P4s: I set myself the deadline to ship my german geography recordings to
> you before the windows version is publicly spread. Feel free to remind
> me. [I realized I managed to encode the ones I finished in single
> channel stereo and I'm 50% done with cutting/noise filtering]

Thanks. I'll keep the list updated anyway.