[gcompris-devel] Version Windows

bcoudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Tue Apr 27 03:04:00 UTC 2004

Le mar 27/04/2004 à 10:48, Yan Seiner a écrit :
> Christof Petig wrote:
>
> > Please put a linux binary onto the CD. So users do not feel they have to
> > stay with windows to use this CD. And given a python-activity-howto
> > book(let) this version would a bonus for linux users, too.
>
> Yes.  Presently, downloading all of the required libs (rpms, debs,
> whatever) is pretty time consuming and difficult for a non-technical person.

Well, even for technical person not familiar with MinGW.

> If the CD was to contain all of the required and optional stuff for
> installation under both Windows and Linux, then you'd have something
> worth paying money for.

I don't plan yet to make a physical CD but why not. I was thinking more
of a pay for download version. Depending on the volume, I may consider a
CD.

For the Linux version, I don't think it's worth putting it there. There
is so many distrib that it's hard to manage. Source code of course will
be there (download, CD if any).

> It's time consuming to have to download all of that stuff, and my
> download speeds are very fast.  Someone who is paying for connection
> time on a slower line would find it cheaper to buy a CD than to download....

You are correct. Especially, gcompris + gtk runtime + sounds will make a
pretty huge package.
I should think twice for the CD.