[gcompris-devel] midi in gcompris

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Sat Oct 11 06:35:06 UTC 2003

Le sam 11/10/2003 à 14:07, José JORGE a écrit :
> I agree with the idea of midi : it's done for that.
> And lots of boards can be done : for example play midi music with a pc
> keyboard, it's very fun for youngest kids, for whom we don't have much
> activities. With coloured  notes appearing in screen for example!

Agree that midi is done for that and much more. In our case, I would
like to be explained why we cannot already do your board with the
current sound infrastructure we have (of course we loose space with ogg
file but it's not enough to convince me).

> What about a configurable midi output system? for example with a list of midi
> devices/softwares avaliable, and a possibility to choose between them?

My opinion is that it will be too complex, even current midi tools fail
to achieve that. Then, gcompris users or installer in school won't have
the skills to go through these steps. They tend to have heterogeneous
old pc, it will be a mess for them to make sure midi works on all of
there PC.

> Best would be a default config which tries hardware synth, then software if
> hardware didn't work.

Do you have the skills and time to implement a such things? I'd be glad
to see midi support in gcompris but not at any price. It sounds complex
and will be hard to maintain.

When I see the problem we have with just a simple embedded ogg player :
Still can not run gcompris out of the box (rpm) on mandrake 9.2 !!