[gcompris-devel] Windows port Re: refresh bug in the canvas

Christof Petig christof at petig-baender.de
Mon May 26 01:21:01 UTC 2003

[I deleted some CCs which I considered unnecessary.]

Bruno Coudoin wrote:
> Christof, could you give us the task to accomplish to do the port and if
> available some fine manuals howto. That would help us evaluate the task
> and perhaps one of us will try it.

Alternative:
- compiling on debian GNU/Linux: Install mingw32, mingw32-runtime,
mingw32-binutils. Perhaps you need at least libtool 1.5 (which is not
yet available on debian?) for easy dll building support. Sadly the
packages are slightly old (out of date?) but should wprk well enough.

- compiling on other Linux flavors: Look for the cross compile
instructions from the SDL or Mingw sourceforge project (it's not that
difficult, really). There's a script to automate that task.

- compiling on Windows: Install either MinGW+MSys or cygwin. Your
mileage wrt libtool might vary (cygwin is reportedly best here, but make
sure to create -mno-cygwin binaries!)

- compiling with MS VC ... ask somebody else and do not expect your
findings to be valuable to a broader community. Expect yourself to be
the only one on earth able to build that binary (Others with VC and your
project files might have success, too), every change to a makefile will
need a new port. And expect to be flamed to death for trying.

----

- Test the compiler to create a working .exe file (e.g. hello world)
- Install Tor's gtk packages (http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32 )
[see also the installer and helpful links on
http://members.lycos.co.uk/alexv6/ ]

- Try to compile and run a simple gtk test program (I had no success to
run it under Linux with Wine, but remember I'm on powerpc and have to
emulate an i?86  8-O )

- Look for a canvas port to Win32 (I think that
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/dia_win32.htm will help here)

- Cover any other build dependancies (Linux as a build environment will
help here, e.g. intltool etc.)

- Try to build gcompris by "hand" (autogen.sh, make, add a commandline
switch here and there, dlltool? gcc -shared? ...). Certainly more
problems will pop up here. I expect the dynamic board loader to be a
problem, but libltdl (part of libtool) might help here. Remember:
Windows .dlls need all symbols resolved at build time, Linux .so
resolves symbols at load time.

This should give you a working gcompris.exe. The shipment of the binary
should start with a .zip (experts can review it this way). But normal
users expect the infamous self installing .exe. NSIS (more free) or Inno
Setup can help here. Sorry, I have no experience here.

    Christof