[gcompris-devel] The python plugin...

Olivier Samyn osamyn at ulb.ac.be
Mon Mar 3 09:37:48 UTC 2003

Every one makes mistakes !
The cvs patch I send last week was just an adapted version of the patch
for gcompris2.3 ... And I only used autoconf and automake on this, not
the entire autogen process...

So, I worked a bit on this this week-end and I made many changes that
will make gcompris use the current cvs version of gnome-common (don't be
afraid, I made it local to gcompris so no need to install the cvs
version on your computer) and more recent version of autoconf and
automake.

I got all the build process working on my LFS and on a debian
unstable... so I hope it'll work on your distribution and other
developper's one...

I also remove a small bug in one of the python source code :)

A last, I updated the patch to the today cvs version...

To reply to your questions, I don't have a gnome cvs account... But I
prefer you test this entire patch your self before commiting something
that may break the entire source ...

I hope you'll get this working quickly...

Here's is a copy of the ChangeLog I wrote during this developpement:

Changes summary.
----------------

- Added Python checks/options into configure.in

- Added Python plugin and dependencies into src/boards/Makefile.am

- Added a directory to contain python scripts and a Makefile.am:
    src/boards/python/Makefile.am

- Added Python board into boards/Makefile.am

- Links the python library into the gcompris main.
  Changed src/gcompris/Makefile.am to do this.

- Added the python plugin files:
    src/boards/python.c
    src/boards/py-gcompris-board.c
    src/boards/py-gcompris-board.h
    src/boards/py-mod-gcompris.c
    src/boards/py-mod-gcompris.h

- Added python test board and its file
    src/boards/python/pythontest.py
    boards/pythontest.xml.in
    boards/boardicons/python.png (! not contained in the .diff file)

- Changed the autogen and configuration options (see below).

- Replaced the macros directory by a gnome2-macros comming from the cvs
  version of the gnome-common package (see below).

- Removed some autogenerated files:
  - missing
  - mkinstalldir
  - install-sh
  - acconfig.h

Autogen and Configuration changes
---------------------------------

I made some changes to the autoconf/automake config files to match a bit
more the Gnome 2.x platform and to be able to work with the newest
version of the GNU tools: automake>=1.6, autoconf>=2.53, libtool>=1.4.3

To get a nice autogen process, I decided to use the gnome-common
package. But since there's no up-to-date version of this package, I used
the cvs version (checked out the 2003-03-03). To avoid every developpers
to checkout this cvs version, I copied the needed scripts and macros
into the gnome2-macros directory. I also removed the old macros
directory that's unusefull now.

Since I made the gnome-common scripts local to gcompris, I needed to
modify the gnome-autogen.sh script to work from a local context and not
from a system wide one. I also modified a bit the gcompris's autogen.sh
script to use this new autogeneration process.

Also, I made some changes to the configure.in and Makefile.am files:
- Removed Gnome 1.x macros and call the Gnome 2.x one
- Many macros uses now pkg-config like libxml.
- Removed GNOME_PTHREAD... since those options are included in the
  libgnome config options
- Added some missing "\" into src/boards/Makefile.am
- Replaced GNOME_XML_LIB by XML_LIBS
- Removed acconfig.h since the defines contained here are now generated
by the AC_DEFINE* autoconf functions.
- Replaced some -I.. with -I$(top_srcdir)/src to be able to build
gcompris outside the sources directory.

Finally, all of this works on my LFS system and on a Debian unstable...
I hope it will work on other systems.

See you,

--
Olivier Samyn <osamyn at ulb.ac.be>