[gcompris-devel] GCompris I18n and Localisation

Isam Bayazidi isamb at accessme.com.jo
Mon Jul 21 01:39:22 UTC 2003

Hi all..
   I am working on translating GCompris to Arabic Language to have it
used in my cousin's Kindergarten and school.. Work on the ar.po file is
going fine.. but I need to ask about other localization and
internationalization issues.. such as the word lists, sounds, currency
(for that nice money game) Changing Countries and maps (for that Country
map game), and so..
   If there a Document where it has detailed information about the
localization and I18n of Gcompris ? and is localization to that extent
(money, and maps) possible in the first place ? for instanse in the
match game, a Tree and a Star is a match, this makes sense to those that
have mas trees, but other parts of the world this is not a match.. can I
change things to make it look more Arabic ? making a Desert picture and
a Camel Picture and making a match ? can I add/remove from the
items/pictures used in the games ? Again.. is this documented ?

another thing.. there is those "apple/_pple/a/g/f" strings in the ar.po
.. I translated those, fine.. but in the Work game it is still
displaying the English Strings ..

Thank you all for such great project.. I will ofcourse give back all my
work to you once I am done.. and if such localization and i18n is not
documented I would be glad to document it to help further localization ..

Yours
Isam Bayazidi