[gcompris-devel] remarks after quick gcompris 2.0 test

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Fri Jan 3 08:50:08 UTC 2003

Le ven 03/01/2003 à 17:15, Mark Van den Borre a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I tried out the entire gcompris 2.0 rpm on a RedHat 8.0 system.
>
> Some remarks:
>
> * "discover the computer" -> "Falling words"
>   -> gcompris segfaults 9 out of 10 times when entering first letter.

I confirm, it is a UTF-8 issue. I'll check out.

> * "reading activities"->"vertical reading drill" and "horizontal drill"
>   -> gcompris segfaults when selected, or soon after clicking anything
> inside

I confirm, it is a UTF-8 issue. I'll check out.

> * "amusement activities"->"Simple drawing program"
>   -> when selecting dot button, you can only draw one dot. Does this
> serve a special purpose? feels counter-intuitive...
>   -> fill button doesn't work

The intent of the dot is to let teacher create a figure with a starting
red dot and ask the kid to reproduce it.

Of the fill, it does not work as you expect, it do not fill the content
of an object unless it was already a plain object :
- Select the fill tool
- Select a color
- click on a item (border or content).

> * Translations (I use Dutch) often don't fit the available space. A few
> translation inconsistencies, too. I 'll try to free up some time for a
> look at the Dutch language file soon. Don't take my word on it, though.
> Lots of other things to do after having been ill during holiday :-(

This issue is common to all language expect english.
To solve this, I need to find a technical solution. The canvas text
widwet can be constrained but it does not autowrap
I'll post this issue on the gnome devel list.

> * "amusement activities"->"Clock reading"
>   -> if time is not exactly xx.00 h, hour needle should move forward a
> little. example: 9.30-> hour needle in middle of 9 and 10.

Yes, it is a usual remark.
It is implemented the way you want after level 4 only.

I prefer to keep the level 1 not focusing the kids first on this issue.

This is a chance we have with computer to be able to do better than
straigh mecanical stuff. Let's power this to teach our kids better.

Also, I remember being teach on paper clock and naturally, the teacher
do not first set the hour clock in the middle.

> * Left column confusion (not 2.0-specific)
>   -> I made a few kids test gcompris. Having to drag items from the
> column on the left was very confusing for all of them. "But there's only
> one or two pieces of the puzzle!".

I agree but the only think I can do is work on the graphism.
I can't display all the images on the first slot.

BTW, It is good to let the kid search a little bit or get some oral
instructions from a parent or teacher ;)

> Hope these remarks can help you build an even better gcompris.

Sure it is extremely usefull.

> Keep up the good work in 2003!

Thanks.