[gcompris-devel] remarks after quick gcompris 2.0 test

Mark Van den Borre mark at markvdb.be
Fri Jan 3 08:16:02 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I tried out the entire gcompris 2.0 rpm on a RedHat 8.0 system.

Some remarks:

* "discover the computer" -> "Falling words"
  -> gcompris segfaults 9 out of 10 times when entering first letter.

* "reading activities"->"vertical reading drill" and "horizontal drill"
  -> gcompris segfaults when selected, or soon after clicking anything
inside

* "amusement activities"->"Simple drawing program"
  -> when selecting dot button, you can only draw one dot. Does this
serve a special purpose? feels counter-intuitive...
  -> fill button doesn't work

* Translations (I use Dutch) often don't fit the available space. A few
translation inconsistencies, too. I 'll try to free up some time for a
look at the Dutch language file soon. Don't take my word on it, though.
Lots of other things to do after having been ill during holiday :-(

* "amusement activities"->"Clock reading"
  -> if time is not exactly xx.00 h, hour needle should move forward a
little. example: 9.30-> hour needle in middle of 9 and 10.

* Left column confusion (not 2.0-specific)
  -> I made a few kids test gcompris. Having to drag items from the
column on the left was very confusing for all of them. "But there's only
one or two pieces of the puzzle!".

Hope these remarks can help you build an even better gcompris.

Keep up the good work in 2003!

Mark
--
Mark Van den Borre