[gcompris-devel] skin support

bruno bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Sun Feb 16 15:42:07 UTC 2003

It may not be that important but based on a suggestion I got at the
FOSDEM, I implemented skin support in gcompris.

To do this, now all gcompris 'skin' dependant images are in
gcompris/boards/skins/<skin name>/<image name>

There is a default skin which is where gcompris will look if an image is
not found in the user's selected skin.
It means, in order to create a skin, you can just create a directory and
put in just the images you want to change.

When started, gcompris now has a new property named skin. It can be
edited with the configuration menu or by hand in ~/.gnome2/gcompris

2 new functions are now in the API:
/*
 * Given an image name, return an image name
 * that includes the skin path
 * eg : xx.png -> skins/default/xx.png
 *
 * The caller must free the returned string
 */
gchar		*gcompris_image_to_skin(gchar *imagename);

/*
 * Load a pixmap from the current skin directory
 * If not found, try in the default skin directory
 * If not found abort gcompris
 */
GdkPixbuf	*gcompris_load_skin_pixmap(char *pixmapfile);

Now I created a pink skin for my daughter.

The current background is an aqua theme taken from childsplay. I am not
sure yet it is not an original mac one. I check that.