[gcompris-devel] First windows port trial

Christof Petig christof at petig-baender.de
Mon Dec 15 03:35:05 UTC 2003

Bruno Coudoin schrieb:
> I tried to compile gcompris on windows using cygwin.

This is inexact. Which target do you use Win32/Cygwin [POSIX] or
Win32/MinGW [MSVCRT -mno-cygwin]?

> - no pthread. I emptied the body of all func in soundutils.

no pthread? Cygwin RT certainly has, here's a MinGW RT port:
http://sources.redhat.com/pthreads-win32/

> - can't load the plugins. The plugins are compiled and installed but i
>   am not sure everything is correct to make them loadable plugins.
>   Did not find a solution yet

I expected some difficulties here. But since I don't know anything about
the plugin loader gcompris uses, I can't tell more. I would try
libltdl.a (libtool) or gmodule or LoadLibrary (native approach)

> Finally, I remove the call to the plugin menu and saw gcompris on
> Windows (well just the control bar). But it's a good start.
>
> I am not yet familiar with all the different options. I see that the
> mingw path is popular but I can't see where to get all the libraries
> GTK, gnomecanvas, ...
> Bruno.p did you made some progress? What do you suggest me, what the
> best to do now. What's the best source of information, what I saw on the
> web is very poor.

This is the home of the -mno-cygwin (and non X11) libraries
http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html

The dia-win32 port did initial gnomecanvas porting but it is not
mentioned any longer on their site:
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/dia_win32.htm

The abiword developers seem to have done some work, too:

Perhaps Mono has something working? Though they talk about Xlib which
perhaps sounds more like a Cygwin target.
http://www.gotmono.com/docs/gnome/bindings/gnome/canvas/introduction.html
http://www.go-mono.com/tutorial/gnome/bindings/gnome/canvas/hello.html

GnuWin32 also mentions Canvas (for the MinGW RT!):
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/libart.htm

Hmm even sodipodi mentions canvas and has a windows port.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sodipodi/

====> I can't find a package but it looks promising (and it seems you
solved that already since you got something to look at.

   Christof