[gcompris-devel] cannot make gcompris 4.2...

stephane parenton stephane at parenton.com
Wed Dec 10 23:39:03 UTC 2003

Hi everyone,

i'm trying to make gcompris running on my redhat 9.0, with gnome and
ximian desktop 2 installed... so far i've failed... the rpms keep
telling me that i don't have the right dependencies with :
	gdk-pixbuf-gnomecanvas is needed by gcompris-4.2-1
        gnome-python is needed by gcompris-4.2-1
        gnome-python-canvas is needed by gcompris-4.2-1
        pygtk2.0 is needed by gcompris-4.2-1
        libcrypto.so.0.9.7 is needed by gcompris-4.2-1
        libpython2.2.so.0.0 is needed by gcompris-4.2-1
        libssl.so.0.9.7 is needed by gcompris-4.2-1

gdk-pixbuf-gnomecanvas : Yes i don't seem to have it... well i tried to
installed it (rpm -ivh) but dependencies are required with
gdk-pixbuf-loaders... ok, i go and fetch the rpm... but when trying to
install it, it conflicts with an existing installation... the "rpm -qa |
grep gdk" indicates that loaders are NOT there but still, it conflicts
with gdk-pixbuf from ximian... i did not want to play with --force or
--nodeps yet...

Regarding gnome-python, i have gnome-python2 installed...

libcrypto and libssl are installed with openssl-0.9.7a-2, not 0.9.7...
and i keep having the error....

so i said to mysel, if the rpm don't want to go this easy, maybe i'll
have more chance with compiling the sources... I grab the sources,
./configure ran ok... so far so good !!! but the make failed here :

libtool: link: cannot find the library `/usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.la'

I have a libgobject-2.0.a bu not .la...

What can I do to install gcompris regarding those facts ?...

thanks for your help and for your job that seems great ;-)

Best regards
Stéphane