[gcompris-devel] Re: Updated de.po file and a new bug :-)

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Thu Aug 21 10:50:47 UTC 2003

Ronny, I copy your mail to the gcompris-devel list so that others can
help and see what's going on.

Ronny is currently installing gcompris in a school in switzerland. He
are some bug he found in gcompris:

Le mar 19/08/2003 à 09:56, Ronny Standtke a écrit :
> Hi Bruno,
>
> > OK, it's commited.
>
> Thank you, now gcompris compiles again.
>
> > Have you been able to compile and run gcompris before these last
> > changes.
>
> Yes, I did compile and test gcompris a day before these changes.
>
> > Could you please tell me what's missing now in gcompris to meet your
> > expectation ?
>
> All at once? Dont be shocked :-)
>
> Program errors:
> ---------------
> - submarine board
> 	the help button does not appear
Good point. I added the call to gcompris_bar_set in submarine.c and it
works now.
Changes are in the CVS

> - substraction with a funny game
> 	the die always shows one point when you move the mouse away from it
Saw it. It's comes from the new way I handle buttons hightligting.
It's fixed in the CVS.

> - vertical/horizontal reading practice
> 	the board starts when you open the help
Saw it. Fixed in the CVS

> - baby shape puzzle
> 	the solution will be accepted, even when you lay back items
> 	(they only must have been at the right position before...)

Great, I found it also. It's in the CVS.

> Contents errors:
> ----------------
> - missing letters / reading practice / find your left and right hands
> 	in the handbook it reads:
> 	"Click on the hand at the bottom to validate your choice."
> 	but there is no hand...

Fixed in the .xml.in file. Translation have to be updated by
translators.

> - super brain
> 	the game itself is not explained
> 	there is no word about the white markings
> 	it is written nowhere that the markings only appear in lower levels

It maybe a lag in the translation. The information you are looking at is
there. Check the file boards/superbrain.xml.in to check the english doc.

> - the wordchoice in the handbooks is not consistent, sometimes it reads
>   "the kid" sometimes "you"...

What do you mean by handbook. Are you using the open office generated
documentation or 'in gcompris' help.
I don't have enougth time to review the documentation. If you want, you
can fix it and send me the corrections.

> Soundless Problems:
> -------------------
> If you use gcompris in a X11 Thin Client environment (without sound) there are
> naturally some boards with are unplayable. One must life with that. But there
> are boards with could be playable with only some minor changes.
>
> E.g. the colors board could besides "saying" the color, write the name of the
> color at the board.

You are right. It's fixed now in the cvs.

> Another problem is the error sound without the (un)happy face, e.g. in the
> image name board. In case of an error the kid does not get any feedback in an
> soundless environment. Just add the face and everything is fine.

It's fixed in the CVS.

> I hope some of this problem descriptions / suggestions can help to make
> gcompris better. I hope you dont mind if I keep on harassing you with these
> things. So maybe in some weeks we have high quality gcompris ready for this
> school :-)

Of course no problem, that's the way it works, if tell us what's wrong,
it may takes fewer time before it's fixed.
Would you mind to join the gcompris-devel mailing list, it's the best
place to discuss bugs past and future of gcompris.