[gcompris-devel] More commits :)

bruno bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Tue Apr 22 17:21:04 UTC 2003

Le mar 22/04/2003 à 17:04, Olivier Samyn a écrit :
> More commits again...
>
> I finished the skin feature by implementing the necessary python binding
> for it.

Excellent, I had a look to it and I am sad not to have time to program a
board. I'd like to use the skin feature the way it is.

> I also updated all plugins to use this new feature. I've done it for the
> standard gcompris fonts and colors. Now if some plugins developpers
> wants to use the skin feature to replace colors/fonts constants/defines
> they are free and the framework is ready (take a look at the
> boards/skin/default/skin.xml and src/gcompris/skin.[h,c] files)
>
> For the future python board I'm writing... I've been up to now playing
> with gnome canvas code and the python binding... So the current
> pythontest board is just a testing/example board.
>
> But... I began to implement something and I'll now have time to work on
> it (If I don't find a new feature to impelement :) )
>
> Now the future board:

OK, so now it's geek end, we talk about kids ;)

> The purpose of this board will simply be to connect two columns of
> circle with lines... but the columns will have some text attached...
>
> My sister who's a teacher use something like this to teach maths. For
> example a typical board will be:
>
> 2x3 o  o 6
> 3x3 o  o 15
> 5x3 o  o 9
>
> And the player will have to connect the good result with the good
> operation like (ascii art isn't easy :( ):
>
> 2x3 o-----o 6
> 3x3 o-- --o 15
> 5x3 o--X--o 9
>
> Also my sister doesn't correct the result immediately, she says:
> "You made one, two,... error(s) let's take a look at the book/reference
> and try to correct yourself."
>
> Then the kid take his book, make some search and try to correct his
> sheet.
>
> This procees loops until there are no more errors...
>
> This seems simple, but for a teache with 20 kids it can become verry
> hard to correct all copies.
>
> So I'll try to implement something like this in gcompris. With a
> reference dialog that will popup when the kid made a mistake... and this
> dialog will contain the reference for the game...
>
> For now the plugin contains two circle and a line that will one day
> connect the two :)
>
> Any sugggest is welcome !

OK, basically, this is a quizz like problem. You can put any kind of
data, math, history, french, ... and you can use it.
I'am sorry to tell you that I don't like it too much because the
computer is useless, you can do the same on paper like your sister is
doing currently. What I like in gcompris or eduapps is when it really
uses the dynamic behaviour of the computer to teach differently. It
should be another oportunity for someone to learn something he/she
didn't get with the traditional aproach.

The goal is not to mimic what teachers are doing well on paper and this
for the last thousand years but to complement a training.

For example, have a look here for some example :
http://lsm.abul.org/~abuledu/Maternelle_Linux_011210/doc/
Then click 'Jeux'

Bruno.

--