[gcompris-devel] Re: [update] Maze-plugin

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Tue Sep 24 05:23:04 UTC 2002

Le mar 24/09/2002 à 13:26, Christof Petig a écrit :
> Bruno Coudoin wrote:
> >>To be honest I'd been dragged away by porting applications to gtk2.
> >>

> > So you are our gtk2 expert ;)
> > Do you have an idea of how hard will it be to port gcompris to gtk2.
> > Frankly, I tried but failed to display the initial gcompris window !!
>
> Hmmm. Depends ...
>
> For me getting the program to compile again was hard, then I was done.
>
> My initial gtk2 experience:
> - a lot of arguments are now const correct, so that cleaning up the mess
> is a good idea (I can explain more, C users tend to ignore const, C++
> users _need_ to understand it (const and non const arguments form
> different(!) functions)).
> - a lot of things are now easier, cleaner etc. e.g. case insensitive
> completion was impossible with glib 1.2
> - the transfer of the signal system and the object hierarchy into glib2
> made things more portable but you need to do some search and replace in
> your code
> - you need to switch to UTF8, which is a good idea anyway, but hard if
> you rely on editors which are not UTF8 capable
> - you won't regret porting ;-)
> But antialiasing, better widgets, stock icons, pixbuf integration were
> already possible with gnome1 or are not used in gcompris, so gcompris
> won't initially gain that much from gtk2.
>
> But: I usually code in C++ (with gtkmm[2]), so I don't know too much of
> pure Gtk2.
>
>     Christof
>
> PS: IIRC gcompris depends on gnome1. Though since gtk2 provides
> gdk-pixbuf, stock items etc. you might not need too much of gnome2 any
> longer?
>
> And since gtk2 is available for Windows (I also have some experience in
> this area, but so far only gtk1) a port of gcompris to windows might be
> possible. I know someone currently porting dia to Windows ...

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

That's a path we should consider, many schools would benefit from having
gcompris on windows.

Since gcompris rely heavily on the gnome canvas, to my understanding,
this stays a gnome widget, not gtk.
Dia is also based on the canvas if I remember. If this person if
sucessful, does that mean we could port gcompris as well ?