[gcompris-devel] introducing myself

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Fri Sep 20 10:03:04 UTC 2002

Le ven 20/09/2002 à 15:47, Mark Van den Borre a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Mark Van den Borre is my name. I am a classical guitarist, living in
> Leuven, Belgium. (Dag Herman B.!) Both my parents teach at primary schools.
>
> I volunteer a few hours a week at my local primary school. I am always
> looking for ways to introduce Free Software there. Gcompris looked like
> a fine candidate to me.

Great.

> Our school uses a couple of old 486's as X-terminals (LTSP). Problem for
> using gcompris on these: video limited to 800*600, 256 colors. I am sure
> many schools are in the same situation of recycled "obsolete" hardware.
> WARNING: Possibly stupid question ahead!
> Would it be difficult to modify gcompris to run in 256 color mode, too?

I don't know. What is the problem, the number of colors is defined by X
itself. I expect it to make the appropriate translation to fit 256
colors.
What happens when you start gcompris on these PC ?

> A remark by a local school teacher who tested gcompris:
> Let the hour sign move along proportionally with the minute sign
> completing an hour. At 6.30, for example, the hour sign should be
> halfway to the 7, a little further than the minute sign that is exactly
> on the 6.

It is the way it works but after level 3 if I remember.
It was done this way not to confuse the kid at the first levels.

> My coding skills are still close to non-existent, but I am working on
> that. In the mean time:
> If anyone needs sound or music for a GPL educational project, you know
> how to reach me...

Thanks for the proposal.
I don't think a background music is appropriate but if you can record
your music and imagine an activity based on that, I am sure somebody
will write the code.
For example could we have an activity where a sample is played and the
kid must find it back by clicking and checking several sample choices.
Kind of basic hear training activity. What do you think ?

> Mark
>
> P.S. I remember reading something about gcompris at FOSDEM 2003. Anyone
> knwos more about this?

Yep, I will go there and make a presentation.
I'll be glad to meet you there.

Bruno.