[gcompris-devel] introducing myself

Mark Van den Borre mark at markvdb.be
Fri Sep 20 05:20:05 UTC 2002

Hi,

Mark Van den Borre is my name. I am a classical guitarist, living in
Leuven, Belgium. (Dag Herman B.!) Both my parents teach at primary schools.

I volunteer a few hours a week at my local primary school. I am always
looking for ways to introduce Free Software there. Gcompris looked like
a fine candidate to me.

Our school uses a couple of old 486's as X-terminals (LTSP). Problem for
using gcompris on these: video limited to 800*600, 256 colors. I am sure
many schools are in the same situation of recycled "obsolete" hardware.
WARNING: Possibly stupid question ahead!
Would it be difficult to modify gcompris to run in 256 color mode, too?

A remark by a local school teacher who tested gcompris:
Let the hour sign move along proportionally with the minute sign
completing an hour. At 6.30, for example, the hour sign should be
halfway to the 7, a little further than the minute sign that is exactly
on the 6.

My coding skills are still close to non-existent, but I am working on
that. In the mean time:
If anyone needs sound or music for a GPL educational project, you know
how to reach me...

Mark

P.S. I remember reading something about gcompris at FOSDEM 2003. Anyone
knwos more about this?
Mark Van den Borre
Noormannenstraat 113
3000 Leuven, Belgium