[gcompris-devel] Re: Maze plugin enhancements (and cleanup)

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Fri Nov 8 01:23:02 UTC 2002

Le jeu 07/11/2002 à 16:07, Christof Petig a écrit :
> Bruno Coudoin wrote:
> > I did a small change on my home PC with great effect by changing the
> > background in 3D view with a half sky/half ground picture made rapidly
> > with gimp. This make a good effect but then changing the view angle too
> > much can put the wall in the sky ;)
>
> perhaps a bigger image which is moved up/down, too, might be a good
> idea. One can also chose a different scenery for each direction (e.g.
> east: raising sun over snowy mountains; south: midday, desert; west: sun
> falling into ocean; north: night over a forest). If you like the idea,
> I'll draw it. (stopping my enthusiasm)

Yes, that's an excellent idea. And in the north of course a penguin
colony ;)

> > For the shortkey, I added 'space' as a toggle 2D/3D which makes it
> > easier for use. Ideally, there could be a toggle button in the main
> > area.
>
> good idea.
>
> > Testing it on my childs (6 and 9), it is too hard for them. It is hard
> > to easily discover on which side we are looking at and they lack the
> > patience and switch to 2D.
>
> I tested it on my son, too. He really liked it but was confused by the
> wrong color of the right wall (yesterday's version). [Of course my son
> could not tell exactly.] This was actually the time I noticed that
> something was wrong.
>
> > Perhaps we could put some indices on the floor like a small colored
> > round in the 2D and 3D view. This could be put on places where there is
> > 2 or more direction choices.
>
> What about images on the floor? We have a bunch of nice images in
> gcompris, we should use them. And it is not _that_ hard to code.

I though about this but it is more complex is we have to consider view
angle and position.

> > Another approach is to display one way or another the direction we look
> > at in the 2D view. What do you think ?
>
> Perhaps rotating the penguin?

Yes, I searched a top view of tux on hte web with no sucesss.
Does somebody has tux in a 3D and can provide us screenshots in top 4
position loooking north, south, east, west?

> > I am wondering if we should not keep the 2D version where it is in
> > gcompris and adding the 3D version in the fun menu beside the left/right
> > hands activity.
> > My idea here is to say 2D is to learn arrow keys in discovering the
> > computer. 3D is more space orientation activity. Then in the 3D game,
> > the 2D view can be displayed but you cannot move in it.
>
> Given my background ideas and the images on wall / on floor idea, this
> plugin tends to move towards the fun / games section. This way even more
> people would notice that there's a new feature to the maze plugin ;-)

OK.

> Actually part of the code is from some kind of 3D multiplayer game, we
> originally planned at school back in '88. That was on an Apple ][e under
> Turbo Pascal CP/M with a self soldered network cable.

So that's a revival.

> Sadly we never finished it (one week was way too optimistic)! [The
> assembly written line drawing algorithm had a bug ...]
>
>     Christof
>
> PS: If we have a nice background image, I should make the exit
> transparent instead of green (actually it's really easy to code).
> PPS: My wife said I should draw more of the side walls, because now it
> looks like you run too far against the wall.

I agree with your wife. Perhaps, we should see tux in the 3D mode.
For the transparency, it works only in the bugged antialiased canvas
(gcompris -a) or you must replace the green wall by a door in png with
transparency.

Have you tried gcompris -a and putting glasses on tux in the drawing
board ;)