[gcompris-devel] comments, bug report

Cedric Bertolini cedric.bertolini at free.fr
Mon Mar 11 04:42:06 UTC 2002

Hello,

I tested gcompris-1.0.0pre4 and have it tested by my girlfirend and I have
some comments, and a bug to report :

- in the boards "horizontal reading" and "vertical reading", I can't even
understand how I am to tell to software that I've found the good word.
Nothing works, bar space, return or mouse click. And after a dozen of
words, gcompris crashes with this error message (in french) :> ** ERROR
**: Ne peux pas trouver le fichier
/usr/local/share/gcompris/boards/reading/button.png !> aborting...
(can't find file)

- the bicycle png image is very hard to drag and, once dragged and
magnified, it doesn't really loke like a bicycle... It's too thin.

- my general feeling is that there's a lack of information about where the
user is (menu or board), about what's the board about. IMHO, a splash
screen at the beginning of each board to tell what's to be done and how,
even if it's trivial, would be a great help. The captions in the menu
screens aren't enough, IMHO.

- The board with the airplane that catches numbers is very strange. It
seems more difficult at level 1 than at level 6, because the plane is
bigger and less responsive. As the board is about flying between clouds to
touch the good ones, a bigger, less responsive airplane is really harder
to drive ! Beside this, I think the board is too long. It takes too much
times. At level 1, there's so much inertia in the flyship that one can
hardly avoid hitting bad clouds, and so the board seem to never end !

- the instruction boxes inside the boards are never translated in french.
(like "Set the masses in the decreasing order", or "Place the shapes in
their proper location")

Well, here are some feelings of mine. But nevertheless, gcompris is a
great software. It's very funny, even for a more-than-10 years old guy :-)

I hope that my comments will allow you to improve gcompris. I can do the
missing translations in french, if you wish.

Cédric Bertolini.