[gcompris-devel] GCompris in public

Mario Fux fux.mario at unormal.org
Wed Jun 12 12:12:17 UTC 2002

(Right at the beginning: Sorry for my bad englisch, my mother tongue is
German)

Hello

My name is Mario Fux and I study information technology and eletrical
engineering at the Swiss Federal Institut of Technology. I'm a co-founder of
ALIS - Arbeitsgruppe Linux an Schulen (in english: workgroup linux at school)
which is maintaining the website http://www.edux.ch .
One month ago, I began to write the first column "TUX&GNU at school" [1] which
will come out every month. It shall always describe a piece of free education
software, a good website on topic and an idea for an good program.
This weekend I want to write the second edition among others about GCompris.
I like this programm, it's really beautiful. Good work.

At this point, I have still some questions and above all some propositions:
1. In the German version (perhaps in the others too) the child does't
pronounce numbers with more than one digit. It pronounce only the last digit.
2. Wouldn't it be good to have a complement to the sound "good" (in German:
prima) ? Something like, "try it again".
3. All the sound is going on, even if you quit the game or you go on to
another board. The same with the calculations. If you are very quickly, the
sound doesn't come along. You should possibly break the sound.
4. It took a lot of time until I could enjoy GCompris with german sound. It
would be good to remark on the website that you have to change the $LANG
variable to change the language support. At the moment I've still some
problems with the version on my notebook, but that's another thing.

Once again. You have done a really good job and I'm glad to see new releases.

If you want that I put some special information in the next version about
TUX&GNU at school, just say it.

Greets from Switzerland
foxman aka Mario

[1] http://www.unormal.org/alis/tagatschool1.html
Only in German at the moment (if anyone want to translate it ?)