[gcompris-devel] Please reduce the number of markup in messages marked for translation

Bruno Coudoin bcoudoin at anfora.fr
Wed Jan 9 00:56:03 UTC 2002

Thanks for your information.
To those that followed the story, I recently converted the help system
in gcompris to use gtkhtml.
Unfortunaly, it brings a lot of drawbacks and the translation one is
just one more.
GTKHTML brings many dependancies and created many configuration
compilation, issues. It is rather slow to be displayed and does not
allow loading of images anyway until probably you implement some
additional code (and gcompris will become a browser).

For all these reasons, I think it is best to go back to the old
situation which was text only. To enhance it a little bit, I propose to
predefine sections like prerequisite, goal, configuration.
Also these new fields needs to be moved to the xml menu definition so
that we can have the help being external to the board plugin itself.
To be clear, today, I need to code a board plugin to return the help. If
I reuse a plugin for another board, I can't overload the help to better
describe what MY board is about.
By adding it in the myboard.xml.in, I can add help to any board or make
it specific easily. I also have I18N with xmli18n.

I will implement it this way this WE. If somebody whant to keep the
gtkhtml stuff, please tell it now.

Bruno.