[gcompris-devel] I18N of imageid

Bruno Coudoin bcoudoin at anfora.fr
Wed Feb 13 02:34:23 UTC 2002

le mar 12-02-2002 à 19:39, pgeorges a écrit :
> Bruno Coudoin a écrit :
> >
> > Pascal,
> >
> > I have modified the .xml file of imageid to enter it in the normal po
> > process.
> > This is not very good since in your implementation you was trying to
> > propose close words to the target words like cake and bake. But when
> > translated word to word, we won't have close words to propose to the
> > children.
> >
> > I don't have a solution to make it work this way and keep the po files.
> > For now I think it is best in this case to use the po files.
> >
> > I propose to think carefully to this kind of situation and find a
> > solution for V2.
>
> The translation should not be a word to word process in our case, or
> this may lead to meaningless boards.
>
> I don't see what would force us to make a word to word translation.
>
> Pascal

Like I said, it's a tradeoff, simple translation trough po file or
meaningless. For V1, I'd prefer to have this board being well translated
even if we loose its meaning (no all of it anyway).
Then we have to think of a way to handle that. I have one idea where we
could create a string to translate of the form:
GOOD: "cake" WRONG: "bake lake plate" # Translate only quoted words with
words close to the GOOD one

With this, translator will have the whole context and the translation
rule, not just one lost word.
Then of course imageid would have to parse it...

Comment on that?