[gcompris-devel] Re: Noteworthy Reports needed

Bruno Coudoin bcoudoin at anfora.fr
Thu Sep 13 07:41:04 UTC 2001

Hi,

As for me, I started one year ago to develop gcompris, a comprehensive
software platform for having educational content ready for children from
3 to 10.
It is to my point of view a real success. There is already 14 'boards'
in gcompris. This is more than in some proprietary edu app sold in
supermarket in france. The user interface is really simple and appealing
for children.
I will continue to add boards to it, but more important I will work on
it to make it easy to use in a school environment.

Today, there is no proprietary application that really focus on that
probably because they prefer to focus on the more lucrative home market.

There is a chance for the free software community to set the standard
here.

What is needed is a way to control a set of user. For example, in
edu-soft, children tend to play always to the same board which is
usually the easiest. Teachers need a monitoring and control tool to
select live which boards are available to children on there PC network.
Then they need to have feedback on who and where they failed.

Hope it gives you enough detail on this project.

Bruno Coudoin
GCOMPRIS - http://ofset.sourceforge.net/gcompris
ANFORA - http://www.anfora.fr
Tel: (33)5 61 00 34 67