[gcompris-devel] Re: GCompris

Mike Castle dalgoda at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 26 21:10:01 UTC 2001

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 08:21:41PM +0200, Bruno Coudoin wrote:
> > My daughter's hand is too small to work all of the buttons on the mouse.
> > To her, it's like a Mac:  One big button.
> >
> > Some Win32 commercial games accept any mouse click to invoke the action.
> >
> This is a little bit more complex. As an edu tool. I expect child to
> discover and understand that each button is different.

But, currently, her hand is so small that it is physically impossible for
her to work the buttons independently.  Another year, and I believe that
she will be able to, but for now, I'm actually scared that trying to get
her to use the mouse ``correctly'' could cause physical damage.

> But I also understand it is frustrating and to hard at some age.
> I propose you that we map each button to a different action. It would
> also make this board more fun.
> I propose:
> Left=kill
> Right=reverse direction
> Middle=stop
> Up/Down=up/down
>
> What do you think ?

How about a compromise?  Are there any plans on providing skill levels?
Perhaps at a lower skill level, all buttons dismiss the fish (I don't like
``kill''  perhaps ``scare'' ;-).  Then at higher level, the buttons could
be mapped like that above.

Don't forget the middle button  ;->

> Thanks for your feedback. It is appreciated.

It's nice to be able to work with something on the linux box, when all of
the other games are on the win32 box (and I've not tried them under wine
yet).

Thanks!
mrc
--