[gcompris-devel] point API

pgeorges pascal.georges1 at free.fr
Sun Dec 2 00:55:02 UTC 2001

bruno a écrit :

> I also just added a new API in gcompris core to have a point counter
> system.
> It provides:
> void gcompris_point_start (PointStyleList style, guint x, guint y, guint
> max);
> void gcompris_point_end();
> void gcompris_point_set(guint value);

Some file(s) are missing in CVS (at least point.h), preventing
compilation.
Does 'point' is the correct naming ? Wouldn't it be score ? (point seems
a bit french).

> Today there is just one pointstyle of the form 1/10 but we could imagine
> to use a decreasing list of cube as another style for smaller children.
>
> I started to use it in clock, algebra and falling words.
>
> The goal is to replace the following entry:
> void             gcompris_bar_set_timer (guint time);
> void             gcompris_bar_set_maxtimer (guint time);
> These methods are using the progress bar in the window status bar but it
> is too hard to see.
> When completed this status bar will be completly removed.

The status bar could be kept to track progress inside a board, and the
scoring for the whole bunch of boards.
Well, I certainly need to check how it works by myself, when it will
compile.

> After on the same principle, I will create a real timer with
> gcompris_timer_start(style, ...
> This will make the user loose when the time is up.
> It will make gcompris more challenging I hope.
> I already have some great picture from Renaud for that.

I fully disagree on the use of a timer. Children don't like that
(neither most adults). We must not make children panic because of a time
out.
I would prefer a gentle voice hurrying up the child, when he's sleeping
in front of the screen.

> Also, I would like to get rid of the gnome menu and most important,
> change the general size of gcompris to match a usual resolution ratio.
> It means that the 'drawing' area will be less high.

This will have a lot of consequences on many boards. Some are tuned to
the actual resolution.

Pascal