pre-boarding call

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Aug 19 07:32:46 UTC 2014

On Monday, August 18, 2014 21.34:25 Samuel Gaist wrote:
> On 18 août 2014, at 20:44, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Monday 18 August 2014, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> >> Possible cons:
> >>
> >> * could become git-level scary if the user interface is not carefully
> >> considered
> >
> > one key here is enough of saying no to new features/command switches that
> > are not completely, absolutely needed…
>
> +1

Also agreed. It must follow the Only What Is Needed principle. Consistency in
the commands will be another goal so there is "less" to learn.

> However, would a hook or plugin architecture be something to consider for
> people wanting to extend the command ?

This is actually how I (currently) plan to implement the "core" functionality.
Each component (project packages, compiling, documentation, testing, ...) will
implement a yet-to-be-design C++ interface which will dynamically add
functionality to the funq command.

Once that interface is well and truly tested by the core functionality, I
would then like to make it a public API. It will provide some basic
functionality to be shared between components as well, such as how to navigate
a project tree on disk as that will be a common task to most if not all
components.

Hopefully one day we'll even be able to write addons in funq; in fact, I see
no reason why not, once things are that far along.

> >> Do you prefer "one tool to rule them all" or "a suite of separately named
> >> tools, one per task"?
> >
> > would go for one to rule them all with syntax like
> > funq command subcommand [options]
>
> +1, it will also simply deployment of the sdk

So that's four in favour of a single command with a reasonable grammar. (Kevin
gave his +1 on irc yesterday...) So let's call that a wrap and go in that
direction.

--
Aaron J. Seigo