[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX is alternatives

Stefan Baur newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de
Tue Oct 15 19:47:36 UTC 2013

Am 15.10.2013 21:37, schrieb Akemi Yagi:

>> I can only speak for the server side, I had both x2go and freenx installed
>> on the same server. The freenx packages came from the Ubuntu repository, and
>> I don't remember any conflicts.
>
> I was not able to install x2goclient on a box that has freenx
> installed due to conflicts.

That may well be the case for the Linux client - never tried that.
Installing the server components in parallel on Debian Linux works (or
at least worked the last time I needed it), though, as did running
x2goclient and nxclient on Microsoft Windows.

>> My clients were all Windows machines, so I guess my experience that you
>> could install both x2goclient.exe and nxclient.exe on the same machine
>> doesn't really help you.
>
> According to the x2go FAQ ( http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/doc:faq ) :
>
> "Even though X2go uses the same libraries, X2go aims for an even
> greater integration into the Linux environment. It’s not possible to
> use NX client to log on to a X2go server and vice versa."

I happen to know the guy who wrote that.  What he meant is that you
cannot use x2goclient to connect to an nxserver (that doesn't have the
x2go server components installed in parallel), nor can you connect to an
x2goserver (that doesn't have freenx or commercial NX installed in
parallel) using nxclient. In other words, X2Go and NX are not
protocol-compatible, so you need to use the same flavor for both client
and server, but at least for the server side and the Windows client side
(again, I can't speak for the Linux client side), things work in parallel.

> I attempted to connect to an x2go server using OpenNx but that did not
> work.

That's rather obvious. You can't run a gasoline engine on Diesel, either.

-Stefan