[FreeNX-kNX] Error in environment option cookie. No value found

Giuseppe Barichello beppuz at gmx.com
Sun Mar 4 20:57:01 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: chris at ccburton.com
Sent: 03/04/12 07:47 PM
To: User Support for FreeNX Server and kNX Client
Subject: Re: [FreeNX-kNX] Error in environment option cookie. No value found

freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org wrote on 04/03/2012 16:16:48:

 > Hi all,
 >
 > After an upgrade of a debian testing server I got freenx server
 > broken. For a week now I have been struggling with this
 > problemInstalling and uninstalling freenx many times.

Don't bother doing that.
If it fails once it will always fail.
Probably it has worked fine but something else is wrong.

 > present situation is:
 > 1) Server running:
 > # /usr/lib/nx/nxsetup --test
 >
 > ----> Testing your nxserver configuration ...
 > Warning: Invalid value "CUPS_ETC=/etc/cups/"
 > Users will not be able to enable printing.
 > Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_START_KDE=startkde"
 > Users will not be able to request a KDE session.
 > Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_START_GNOME=gnome-session"
 > Users will not be able to request a Gnome session.
 > Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_SMBUMOUNT=smbumount". You'll not be
 > able to use SAMBA.
 > Warning: Invalid cupsd version of "/usr/sbin/cupsd". Need version 1.2.
 > Users will not be able to enable printing. Ignore if you
 > use cups > 1.2
 >
 > Warnings occured during config check.
 > To enable these features please correct the configuration file.
 >
 > <---- done

I'm not sure how helpful it it to show us the warnings
from BEFORE you fixed the config file.

What happens when you run nxsetup --test afterwards ??

 > ----> Testing your nxserver connection ...
 > HELLO NXSERVER - Version 3.2.0-74-SVN OS (GPL, using backend: 3.3.0)
 > <--- done

 [SNIP]
> Error: Aborting session with 'Unable to open display 'nx/nx,
 > options=myhome/.nx/C-myserver-1000-(STDIN)/options:1000''.

STDIN here usually means you haven't changed

 (in/etc/nxserver/node.conf)

from the default
 COMMAND_MD5SUM="openssl md5"
output-ing eg.
 (stdin)= d577273ff885c3f84dadb8578bb41399
into
 COMMAND_MD5SUM="md5sum"
output-ing eg.
 f447b20a7fcbf53a5d5be013ea0b15af -
so
when nx uses the first field of the output
you end up with

 (stdin)

 instead of

 f447b20a7fcbf53a5d5be013ea0b15af

which is used to generate both

 uniqueid
and

 proxy_cookie

Try changing that (assuming you have md5sum),
and see if it fixes your problems.
 Thankyou so much Chris, you pointed me into the right direction and I could solve my problem: COMMAND_MD5SUM="md5sum" generates uniqueid and proxy_cookie the right way, allowing session and display to start.
 I googled a lot without finding that information.
 Thankyou again,

 Giuseppe