[FreeNX-kNX] Error in environment option cookie. No value found

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Sun Mar 4 18:47:09 UTC 2012

freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org wrote on 04/03/2012 16:16:48:

> Hi all,
>
> After an upgrade of a debian testing server I got freenx server
> broken. For a week now I have been struggling with this
> problemInstalling and uninstalling freenx many times.

Don't bother doing that.
If it fails once it will always fail.
Probably it has worked fine but something else is wrong.

> present situation is:
> 1) Server running:
> # /usr/lib/nx/nxsetup --test
>
> ----> Testing your nxserver configuration ...
> Warning: Invalid value "CUPS_ETC=/etc/cups/"
>          Users will not be able to enable printing.
> Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_START_KDE=startkde"
>          Users will not be able to request a KDE session.
> Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_START_GNOME=gnome-session"
>          Users will not be able to request a Gnome session.
> Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_SMBUMOUNT=smbumount". You'll not be
> able to use SAMBA.
> Warning: Invalid cupsd version of "/usr/sbin/cupsd". Need version 1.2.
>          Users will not be able to enable printing. Ignore if you
> use cups > 1.2
>
>   Warnings occured during config check.
>   To enable these features please correct the configuration file.
>
> <---- done

I'm not sure how helpful it it to show us the warnings
from BEFORE you fixed the config file.

What happens when you run nxsetup --test afterwards ??

> ----> Testing your nxserver connection ...
> HELLO NXSERVER - Version 3.2.0-74-SVN OS (GPL, using backend: 3.3.0)
> <--- done

[SNIP]
> Error: Aborting session with 'Unable to open display 'nx/nx,
> options=myhome/.nx/C-myserver-1000-(STDIN)/options:1000''.

STDIN here usually means you haven't changed

         (in/etc/nxserver/node.conf)

from the default
        COMMAND_MD5SUM="openssl md5"
output-ing eg.
        (stdin)= d577273ff885c3f84dadb8578bb41399
into
        COMMAND_MD5SUM="md5sum"
output-ing eg.
        f447b20a7fcbf53a5d5be013ea0b15af  -
so
when nx uses the first field of the output
you end up with

        (stdin)

 instead of

        f447b20a7fcbf53a5d5be013ea0b15af

which is used to generate both

        uniqueid
and

        proxy_cookie

Try changing that (assuming you have md5sum),
and see if it fixes your problems.
[SNIP]