[FreeNX-kNX] Segfault Error 6 in libc-2.11.1.so When Attemtping to Login to My Server Remotely via NoMachine Client

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Sun Jan 29 11:55:13 UTC 2012

freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org wrote on 29/01/2012 07:19:30:

> Hi All,
>
> I've recently been receiving these error messages when I attempt to
> SSH into my machine using the NoMachine client. I used to be able to
> get in just fine, prior to this week, but now I get the following
> message from my client when attempting to connect to the server:
>
> Authentication failed for user xxx
>
> I checked my server log, and I get the following messages whenever
> my client says the authentication failed for user xxx
>
> Jan 29 00:01:22 eric-desktop kernel: [ 2243.892563] sshd[7777]:
> segfault at befba590 ip 00478fea sp befba580 error 6 in libc-2.11.1.so

glibc

> [3d3000+153000]
>
> I tried to remove libc-2.11.1.so from my system, but then nothing
> worked.

Quite . . .

> Any ideas as to what I should do?

Is anything else not working ???

Did you test if sshd is working on its own without NX ???

else you could  . . . .

        fsck everything.

If that doesn't fix it :

        reinstall glibc sshd nxclient

> I'm running Ubuntu 10.04.
> My credentials haven't changed, so I have no idea why I'm getting a
> message stating authentication has failed.

. . . because ssh failed, so you aren't logged in.

FreeNX can't tell you why because it just gets [worked|didn't work] back

>  I checked user settings
> to make sure I was still on the list of allowed users, and I was.
> I'm pretty sure this segmentation fault is preventing me from getting
in.

Me too,
but that's just the error message which sshd, the last in the
line got, so it passed it on to you . .

It could easily be caused by something other than file corruption,
particularly
if you have been doing anything you haven't bothered to tell us
about
like
editing /etc/hosts maybe . . .