[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX - RDP connection fails

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 13:37:49 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 6:32 AM,  <chris at ccburton.com> wrote:

>>    double quotes let $DISPLAY expand locally
>>
>> try:
>> ssh -Y <remote-host> 'echo $DISPLAY'
>
> My reason for ALWAYS using "double-quoted" in sessions
> like this is because I've previously had issues with remote
> users miss-reading 'quoted' as:-
>
>         `quoted`
>         ,quoted,  and even
>         `quoted,
>
> during remote support sessions . . .

That can be a problem in the very common case of using a Microsoft
editor (like word as the default for email) where it wants to swap in
the backquote for the closing end even when that's not what you
typed...

> . . whereas "this" is difficult to mess up
> and
> the ""confuse-r-user"" coefficient is much reduced
> there-by restoring korma to the universe . . .

Yes, but if you don't understand the difference in how the shell
treats them, you are pretty much doomed under unix/linux.  It's as bad
as putting spaces in filenames when you don't know what the shell
does.

--
    Les Mikesell
       lesmikesell at gmail.com