[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX - RDP connection fails

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Wed Jan 11 12:32:15 UTC 2012

freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org wrote on 10/01/2012 20:45:41:

[SNIP]

> > What do you get with:
> >
> > ssh <remote-host> "echo $DISPLAY"
>
> Note that 'ssh somewhere something' doesn't have much to do with nx,
and:

That's the idea . . .

>    x-forwarding has a config file option that the command line overrides
>    some things need -Y instead of -X (still don't understand what/why)

Most distros seem to default to "Trusted" X11 forwarding with -X,
because it breaks too many programs.

To run an xterm, TrustedX11 isn't needed anyway . . .
        (not on OpenSuse or Centos anyway)

>    double quotes let $DISPLAY expand locally
>
> try:
> ssh -Y <remote-host> 'echo $DISPLAY'

My reason for ALWAYS using "double-quoted" in sessions
like this is because I've previously had issues with remote
users miss-reading 'quoted' as:-

        `quoted`
        ,quoted,  and even
        `quoted,

during remote support sessions . . .

. . whereas "this" is difficult to mess up
and
the ""confuse-r-user"" coefficient is much reduced
there-by restoring korma to the universe . . .

In this case I recommend :-

        ssh -X a.b.c.d "echo \$DISPLAY"

etc.