[FreeNX-kNX] Public key authentication and SSH_ASKPASS on Windows

Roy Badami roy.badami at roboreus.com
Mon Oct 31 16:32:46 UTC 2011

I'm trying to get freenx to work with usermode authentication and ssh
public keys, on Windows, and not having much luck.

I've installed the wrapper from
http://download.berlios.de/freenx/nxssh.exe into my NX Client 3.4.0.5
and I have it working fine if I don't have a passphrase on my private
key.  If I have a passphrase, then authentication hangs (unsurprisingly).

But has anyone got this setup working under Windows?  Leaving aside for
one moment the fact that I would need an SSH_ASKPASS program for Windows
- I can't even get nxssh to invoke an SSH_ASKPASS program - if I set
SSH_ASKPASS to notepad.exe (and DISPLAY to a dummy value) just as a
test, it never gets invoked.

Or alternatively, anyone managed to get this to work some other way, (eg
cygwin ssh-agent?)

Regards

roy

--