[FreeNX-kNX] NX session $DISPLAY set to ":$PORT_NUM", how to configure it to '$HOSTNAME:$PORT_NUM'?

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Mon Oct 24 19:25:10 UTC 2011

freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org wrote on 24/10/2011 02:39:37:

> My users need to be able to do X forwarding from the NX host.
> DISPLAY needs to include the hostname in order for our compute farm
> nodes to know where to send X to.  The NX host serves as a linux
> desktop from where “interactive” jobs are launched to a compute farm
> which are then expected to display back on the NX host.  ssh –X is
> not an option.

OK - FROM the NX machine . . .

> I thought I stumbled across documentation suggesting sourcing ~/.

Documentation ?? You must have been dreaming . . .

> tcshrc was not done with NX, my limited experiments would suggest
> this is true.  However I admit to being a novice tcsh user and will
> continue to test.
>
> The following does not do what I expect when one launches an NX
> session with tcsh
> ~$ cat .tcshrc
> #!/bin/tcsh
> setenv DISPLAY ${HOSTNAME}${DISPLAY}

Well

If set my shell to tcsh and I put in ~/.cshrc

        setenv DISPLAY ${HOSTNAME}${DISPLAY}

then

every shell I start in an NX session has DISPLAY set to

         machinename:1010

or whatever . . . .

and
The same thing happens if my shell is set to bash
and in ~/.bashrc I have

        export DISPLAY=${HOSTNAME}${DISPLAY}

so

if your ~/.cshrc is behaving differently then
you may have commented some of it out . . .

> Is there no global NX setting to change the behavior of $DISPLAY to
> include $HOSTNAME?

No, but if you can work ok with ~/.bashrc then you should be
 able to do the same thing with ~/.cshrc.

Do you also have a ~/.tcshrc file which is stopping ~/.cshrc
being run ???

Have you tried taking everything else out of .cshrc ???