[FreeNX-kNX] NX session $DISPLAY set to ":$PORT_NUM", how to configure it to '$HOSTNAME:$PORT_NUM'?

Mark Christian MCHRISTI at altera.com
Mon Oct 24 01:39:37 UTC 2011

My users need to be able to do X forwarding from the NX host.  DISPLAY needs to include the hostname in order for our compute farm nodes to know where to send X to.  The NX host serves as a linux desktop from where "interactive" jobs are launched to a compute farm which are then expected to display back on the NX host.  ssh -X is not an option.

I thought I stumbled across documentation suggesting sourcing ~/.tcshrc was not done with NX, my limited experiments would suggest this is true.  However I admit to being a novice tcsh user and will continue to test.

The following does not do what I expect when one launches an NX session with tcsh
~$ cat .tcshrc
#!/bin/tcsh
setenv DISPLAY ${HOSTNAME}${DISPLAY}

Is there no global NX setting to change the behavior of $DISPLAY to include $HOSTNAME?

Mark