[FreeNX-kNX] Public key authentication and SSH_ASKPASS on Windows

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Wed Nov 2 14:09:14 UTC 2011

freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org wrote on 31/10/2011 16:32:46:

> I'm trying to get freenx to work with usermode authentication and ssh
> public keys, on Windows, and not having much luck.
>
> I've installed the wrapper from
> http://download.berlios.de/freenx/nxssh.exe into my NX Client 3.4.0.5
> and I have it working fine if I don't have a passphrase on my private
> key.  If I have a passphrase, then authentication hangs
(unsurprisingly).

> But has anyone got this setup working under Windows?  Leaving aside for
> one moment the fact that I would need an SSH_ASKPASS program for Windows

> - I can't even get nxssh to invoke an SSH_ASKPASS program - if I set
> SSH_ASKPASS to notepad.exe (and DISPLAY to a dummy value) just as a
> test, it never gets invoked.

Hmmmmm well as

        ssh-askpass

is invoked by

        ssh-add

running against

         ssh-agent . . .

then you will need to run ssh-agent first and then ssh-add if
you want to see it run.

This needs to be done before you try to use the key.

You also need to not be attached to a terminal . . .

> Or alternatively, anyone managed to get this to work some other way, (eg

> cygwin ssh-agent?)

nxclient for windows runs on cygwin so try:-

        Installing cygwin  **with openssh**
        Start a shell and run the following:-

                ssh-agent bash
                         (to export the SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp etc)
        In the above new bash shell run

                ssh-add

        and give the password of the rsa_id key file.

        Then in the same shell run (your) nxagent with
                        the wrapped nxssh.exe (now mxssh.exe)

        use @hostname
        use your correct username ont the NX machine
        add a fake password (it always wants one)

        connect and see. Let us know what happens.