[FreeNX-kNX] Another rootless problem, this time on Debian Squeeze

Stefan Baur newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de
Tue Mar 8 14:12:07 UTC 2011

Situation:

Running Debian Squeeze with freenx from:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/freenx-team/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/freenx-team/ppa/ubuntu karmic main

KDE version: 4.4.5
Gnome version: 2.30
(in case that matters)

Iceweasel (Debian's rebranded Firefox) version 3.5.16
Installed add-ons: Firefox Personas 1.6.1, Strata Reloaded 2.6.5
Installed persona: Mozilla Sky (number 15016)

Running a full KDE or Gnome session works.
Interestingly enough, KDE applications work in rootless mode, too (if
you followed my earlier posts, you will remember I have issues with this
on a Ubuntu 10.04 LTS/Lucid Lynx server).

However, I'm seeing strange display errors when running Iceweasel as a
rootless application - when using a persona.

The background images used by the persona are occasionally painted
*over* the URL bar/forward/backward buttons etc. after opening one of
the menus, moving the mouse cursor along between the different drop-down
menus (File, Edit, etc.) and closing the menu again.

This does not happen when personas are disabled.
It happens no matter which persona I use (I've tried two different ones).
Also, disabling or enabling the "Strata Reloaded" add-on doesn't change
anything.

On the client side, I tried to disable "Direct Draw" and "Deferred
Screen Updates", but that doesn't help, either.
"Disable X Agent Encoding" seems to help, but blacks the entire
available screen with a NX background (kind of like running nxagent
locally), so it's not really usable.

So it seems to be a combination of rootless mode + Iceweasel + Personas
Add-On + any persona.

Interestingly enough, using a persona in Firefox on my KDE-troubled
Ubuntu machine works just fine. That's Firefox 3.6.14, though.

How can this be fixed?

Kind Regards,
Stefan