[FreeNX-kNX] Re: Debian Squeeze install

david rebbe ic3man5 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 15:30:15 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 6:13 AM, Stefan Baur
<newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de> wrote:
> Hi Leopold,
>
> you wrote:
>
>>> What should I put in /etc/apt/sources.list (I've tried a few things but
>>> nothing worked)?
>

>>#FreeNX for Lenny from Ubuntu
>>deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/freenx-team/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
>>deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/freenx-team/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
>

>>they are working for me.
>
> I can confirm that this works, however, the question is: for how long?
>
> My worries stem from
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases#Version_timeline> and
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases#Version_end_of_life>
>
> * Intrepid is already way past its EOL,
> * with Hardy, it's not sure if FreeNX is considered part of the server
> release and thus supported until April 2013,
> * if it's not, then it will reach EOL by April this year, just like Karmic,
> * and the Lucid packages won't work on Debian any more, due to the change to
> "upstart".
>
> I'm considering a switch to x2go when there will be no more FreeNX support
> available for Debian Squeeze, though I haven't made up my mind yet - the GUI
> design of their client software isn't really appealing right now, IMHO.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Stefan

I did try launch-pads url with lucid and it did complain about
upstart. As I see it this is a third party repo so intrepid doesn't
have to follow EOL of ubuntu?
Also in the future I was thinking about using neatnx but for the
present it seems to unstable for server purposes, I'll be trying out
launch-pad with intrepid tonight.

So I take it the berlios server is down? If so, is there a reason?