[FreeNX-kNX] Re: Debian Squeeze install

Stefan Baur newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de
Thu Mar 3 11:13:25 UTC 2011

Hi Leopold,

you wrote:

 >> What should I put in /etc/apt/sources.list (I've tried a few things but
 >> nothing worked)?

 >#FreeNX for Lenny from Ubuntu
 >deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/freenx-team/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
 >deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/freenx-team/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main

 >they are working for me.

I can confirm that this works, however, the question is: for how long?

My worries stem from
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases#Version_timeline>
and
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases#Version_end_of_life>

* Intrepid is already way past its EOL,
* with Hardy, it's not sure if FreeNX is considered part of the server
release and thus supported until April 2013,
* if it's not, then it will reach EOL by April this year, just like Karmic,
* and the Lucid packages won't work on Debian any more, due to the
change to "upstart".

I'm considering a switch to x2go when there will be no more FreeNX
support available for Debian Squeeze, though I haven't made up my mind
yet - the GUI design of their client software isn't really appealing
right now, IMHO.

Kind Regards,
Stefan