[FreeNX-kNX] Re: Problem running KDE applications in rootless sessions on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx)

Stefan Baur newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de
Thu Mar 3 11:35:07 UTC 2011

Hi Chris,

you wrote:

 >[SNIP]
 >> Well, I had the idea to install the Nomachine NXclient on the same
 >> machine and connecting to 127.0.0.1.
 >> Result: the NX session terminates unexpectedly when calling konqueror,
 >> just like it does on Windows.
 >> So I can reproduce the issue under Windows (NXClient 3.4.0-5) and Linux
 >> (NXClient 3.4.0-7).

 >So, d'you mean that if you run nxagent locally, a rootless
 >konqueror works fine, but if you run nxclient locally rootless
 >konqueror doesn't ??

Exactly.

Though nxagent isn't exactly "rootless" - it shows something like a
blank canvas upon execution, then when I start konqueror, it paints the
konqueror window onto this canvas, leaving an "untouched" white border
at the right-hand side.

[SNIP]

 >Suse allowed you to keep both kde3 and kde4 but changed the
 >paths for one of them so it wasn't completely standard . . .
I wish Debian or Ubuntu would offer that option (insert I-hate-KDE4-rant
here).

 >>kde-window-manager 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1 KDE 4 window manager
 >>kdepimlibs5 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1 core libraries for KDE

 >Looks like you are running 4.4.5 not 4.3.1
Indeed.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid-updates/kde-window-manager shows that
4.4.5 is currently available as the latest version via lucid-updates,
while the metapackage kde-full is showing different minimum version
numbers: http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/kde-full
Sorry for the confusion.

 >I'm only on 4.3.5 so we aren't testing quite the same thing
 >and I don't know what startkde launches.
You can look at my startkde file here: <http://pastebin.com/icsnq68J>

[SNIP]

 >Try launching full kde4 from a remote xterm, then exiting it as
 >soon as it is running and then immediately try (a rootless)
 >konqueror from xterm and see if it can find everything it
 >needs to run.

Not sure what you're asking me for here. What I tried:
xterm via NX
enter "startkde"
I see the startup screen like after logging into kdm, then the session
crashes.

Also:
xterm via NX
enter "kde4"