[FreeNX-kNX] Re: Problem running KDE applications in rootless sessions on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx)

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 15:08:14 UTC 2011

On 03/02/2011 09:57 AM, Stefan Baur wrote:

> Hello Antoine,
>
> you wrote:
>> A lot of KDE applications return immediately and spawn the real command
>> under another pid, a bit like a deamon (but not quite).
>> I am not aware of any effective and seamless workaround.
>> You can wrap them in a script that does not exit, but then how/when do
>> you choose to terminate that script...
>
> Is this a new behavior introduced with KDE4? I am not having the issue
> with older KDE3.x releases, say, on Debian lenny.
That has been the case for many years, since before KDE 3.x IIRC
For example, just run:
konqueror
And you will find that the command returns almost immediately.

Now, maybe my assumption is wrong and this is not the source of the
problem described above. That's because I encounter this particular
problem in my seamless window solution (which is not freenx), so I
assumed that this was also the problem here. If that's the case, I
apologize.

Cheers
Antoine