[FreeNX-kNX] Problem running KDE applications in rootless sessions on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx)

Stefan Baur newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de
Wed Mar 2 13:11:12 UTC 2011

Hi list,

I'm having issues with sessions terminating unexpectedly when tring to
run certain KDE applications.

Server:
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx) with FreeNX installed via

debhttp://ppa.launchpad.net/freenx-team/ppa/ubuntu  lucid  main
deb-srchttp://ppa.launchpad.net/freenx-team/ppa/ubuntu  lucid  main

Client:
Windows 7 Home Premium with Nomachine NXClient 3.4.0-5

To debug the issue, I did the following:
Start xterm in rootless mode
Run "screen" in xterm
Run a regular SSH session (using PuTTY)
Connect the PuTTY session to the xterm-screen by issuing "screen -x"

Run "konqueror ~" in xterm
NX session aborts; the screen session in PuTTY shows the following messages:

> surfer1 at surfbox:~$ konqueror ~
> kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_klauncher.so
> Connecting to deprecated signal
> QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
> kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kded4.so
> kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kbuildsycoca4.so
> kbuildsycoca4 running...
> kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kconf_update.so
> Connecting to deprecated signal
> QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
> QFSFileEngine::open: No file name specified
> konqueror(8034) OpenSearchManager::setSearchProvider: "Cannot open
> opensearch description file: "
> konqueror(8034)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library
> "/usr/lib/kde4/konq_sidebar.so" does not offer a qt_plugin_instance
> function.
> konqueror(8034)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library
> "/usr/lib/kde4/konq_shellcmdplugin.so" does not offer a
> qt_plugin_instance function.
> konqueror: Fatal IO error: client killed
> kdeinit4: Fatal IO error: client killed
> klauncher: Exiting on signal 15
> kded4: Fatal IO error: client killed
(here's where it crashes)

If I run a full-screen KDE session, it doesn't crash:
> surfer1 at surfbox:~$ konqueror ~
> QFSFileEngine::open: No file name specified
> konqueror(10384) OpenSearchManager::setSearchProvider: "Cannot open
> opensearch description file: "
> konqueror(10384)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library
> "/usr/lib/kde4/konq_sidebar.so" does not offer a qt_plugin_instance
> function.
> konqueror(10384)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library
> "/usr/lib/kde4/konq_shellcmdplugin.so" does not offer a
> qt_plugin_instance function.
> QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed:
> No such file or directory
> QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/surfer1/.config/ibus/bus
> Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.
> IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon
(konqueror starts as requested, NX session stays active)

What's going on here? Any ideas? Is this a bug? Is there a workaround
for rootless sessions and KDE applications?

Kind Regards,
Stefan