[FreeNX-kNX] Re: can't open terminal window (gnome)

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Mon Jul 18 11:40:14 UTC 2011

fdpo1 at yahoo.com <fdpo1 at yahoo.com> wrote on 11/07/2011 19:11:25:

>  <chris <at> ccburton.com> writes:
> > fdpo1 <at> yahoo.com <fdpo1 <at> yahoo.com> wrote on 07/07/2011
> > 19:12:35:
> >
> > > 1. I can't open a new window -- try to run an xterm (or other
window,
> > such as
> > > firefox) and get an error:
> > > "Can't open display: :2000.0"
> > Looks like something is listening on :2000
> > (else you get a "Can't connect  . . .  ")
>
> :2000.0 is the correct display -- i.e., it is the port used by freenx --
so
> there should be something listening on it, right?  Or am I confused?

There should be an nxagent process for your session which should be
listening on one, possibly several ports, including one for the
display:-

        PROXY_DISPLAY=session-display + 4000

in your case for display :2000 , port 6000

                127.0.0.1:6000

which you should see if you run:-

         sudo netstat -napt|grep nxagent

NOTE:-
The session display ports are selected in sequence from
        DISPLAY_BASE
which is set in
        /etc/nxserver/node.conf

You may find the DISPLAY_BASE(s) need changing if you connect to more
than one FreeNX sever simultaneously

You should be able to find lock files for each display in use in /tmp
i.e.
        /tmp/.X2000-lock
        /tmp/.nX2000-lock

and a socket

        /tmp/.X11-unix/X2000

If you are using the SMB client mounts/printers and/or client ipp
printers, you should see ports for the smb tunnel, and/or ipp, also
associated with nxagent process.

> > What's happened to the session authority file in
> > ~/.nx/C-MachineName-2000-...sessionIDstring.../authority
> > If you don't have md5sum installed for example, the
> > sessionIDstring doesn't get generated . . . .
>
> That file exists.  Not sure what the contents should be.

The contents should look a bit like like:-

2000MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1('..2000MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1('..server-name2000MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1('..

Let's try a quick test.

Connect FreeNX as you have before and check you still
have the same problem.

Check the ~/.nx/C-MachineName-2000-...sessionIDstring.../

has a 32 byte sessionIDstring not -2000-(STDIN)/ or -2000-*/

Connect as the same user, to a new terminal session on the
NX machine, BUT NOT USING nx this time i.e. log in locally
or ssh.

In the new terminal session for the CORRECT "SessonID" enter

export $XAUTHORITY=~/.nx/C-MachineName-2000-yoursessionID/authority
export $DISPLAY=:2000
xterm

If you used the same user account then an xterm should appear on your
FreeNX display, else you should get an error message.